It was Thursday, June 25, at 5:00 in the evening and we were gathered at Tucano's Restaurant on Fourth West and 162 South in Salt Lake City. David and Rinda Cook, Josh's parents, Casey, Ashley and Mckayla, Josh's sisters, were seated on Josh's right and Camille, Bryan, and Grandpa Scott were on Michelle's left.
The servers had set up a long line of small tables so that we could seat ten people to a side and thereby see each other at least a little bit. Perhaps we should have had a cell phone at the two extreme ends because they were so far apart. Our side of the table had Nathan's family on my left, and my mom and dad on Mary Lee's right.
"Welcome to Tucano's. We are so glad you could all come," I said as everyone was kind of wondering what to do next. "You are all in for a treat. You will notice a little wood cylinder near your place," I continued as I held up the one at my place. "If you have the green end up, the servers will keep bringing all sorts of fresh roasted beef, pork, turkey, and chicken. Don't forget to try the roasted pineapple. When you can't eat another bite, then put the red end up and they will stop. Did I miss anything?" I asked as I turned to the waitress.
"Just help yourselves to the buffet tables and don't forget dessert," she commented with a smile.
We all grabbed our plates and began the arduous task of deciding what we wanted to eat from the vast selection of salads, pasta, seafood, vegetables, and breads, while remembering that there would be all those roasted meats and veggies as well.
Again I looked at Michelle. She was helping Kaitlyn and explaining something with a smile (her usual facial expression). Her plate had several modest sized portions which revealed her self control and explained her slender physique even though we were at an "all you can eat" restaurant. A moment later she took Josh's arm and gave him a little squeeze and he reciprocated with a smile as their gaze locked. Josh is tall and naturally tan with athletic build, jet black hair, mysterious eyes, and easy smile. As I have come to know him during their engagement, I have appreciated the kind and considerate nature he has shown Michelle and everyone else for that matter. I couldn't have made a better choice myself. They make a great couple.
Nevertheless, I couldn't help but realize that things were going to change. After tomorrow when they would be married, Michelle would no longer lean on my arm. She would have someone else to confide in and to share her excitement or fears with. Yes, things were changing and I was both happy and sad as one chapter closed and another began.
After a delicious meal at Tocano's we repaired (I have always wanted to use that word that way) to Grandpa Scott's house for a family get together. When we were again seated and things had settled down a little bit, I asked my favorite questions of those present: "How did you meet?" and "When did you know?" Mary Lee was her usual prepared self and she taped all the accounts of when the various couples met and when they knew that they wanted to marry each other. It was both serious and humorous, as we all remembered those early dating and courting years when our love germinated. Michelle and Josh, Camille and Bryan, Nathan and Megan, David and Rinda, Mary Lee and I, all shared our stories. The girls explained what they thought of Michelle and how they felt when they heard the news. Even Grandpa Scott told how he met Jeanene and when he knew. It was a heart-warming memorable evening.
Michelle had asked earlier if she could have a father's blessing at the end of the evening. So when that sacred and tender time came I gratefully complied. Josh had asked his father for a blessing as well. There is real strength that comes, unites a family and draws everyone closer to our Heavenly Father when the priesthood power is exercised at times like this. It is a blessing for all present.
Although I thought the evening ended just right, I was in the dark when it came to what happened afterwards. Josh and his family went back to Farmington where they were staying with his Aunt and Uncle Smoot. Michelle went to Camille's and Bryan's house where she would finish her hair and make the final adjustments to her dress. It seemed pretty simple, right? I mean what could be the problem? After all the weeks of preparation it was just down to the few remaining items. Little did I know---
With lots of experience in hair stuff, both Michelle and Camille knew just what to do, but when it came to the dress, what Michelle had supposed would be a perfect fit (after all, the seamstress had been working on it for months) turned out to be a real hair puller. The dress had been altered to add sleeves and modified neckline. Well, you guessed it, there were bulges and gaps in all the wrong places. The sleeves were too tight, the neck line too loose and it just looked way weird (at least so I have heard). Michelle was almost ready to try on Camille's dress. She called Josh and blurted out her lament. Josh tried to console her, but because she wanted it just so and had been dreaming for years of how she would look, she was frustrated and tearful. Fortunately Camille's calm manner and knowing eye began pulling here, pinning there, tucking and tugging and voila'--it changed like magic. Although a little tight in the underarms it looked great and it even seemed strong enough to stay in place. At last the image in the mirror was beginning to look just like it was supposed to–-elegant and beautiful, or at least it would be when the curlers were gone. It would even make for a great story some day.
Six months and a day, December 25 to June 26, the engagement had plodded by but now the big day was at hand. It was off to the temple grounds to meet the photographer. Josh would be there. Well, let's see. Driving could be a real challenge with high heels and a wedding dress. "Better change into the dress there," Michelle thought.
Not quite nervous but not altogether calm, Josh looked at the sky. "Cloudy, maybe even a chance for rain," he thought. He wanted everything to be just right too–especially for Michelle. They had talked about the events of the day, had envisioned bits and pieces, but now it was the real thing. What if it did rain? What then? What about the pictures, the dress, the tuxedo? Would everything be a mess in the rain? "Oh, well, we'll just have to see what happens and make the best of it," he concluded. "First, I'd better get there."
Mary Lee and I knew that we would not be of much help except perhaps to carry and straighten stuff, but we didn't want to be a cause for worry so we were ready and out the door early. Seeing the cloudy skies and feeling the moisture in the air, I figured we had better be prepared. (It was that old Boy Scout training coming in handy again.) We slipped into Smith's Marketplace and picked up a white umbrella with a simple black pattern. It looked mostly white, but the black added a little character and kept it from looking too sterile. I dashed out the door and drove aggressively to Temple Square. I didn't even get a ticket.
Grandpa Scott had been kind enough to let us use his car; so we easily found a good place to park in the church parking lot under the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. We could get anywhere we needed to go without even getting wet no matter how much it rained. With a little luck we linked up with Michelle and I began my main job–holding stuff and waiting. I held her dress until we found a place for her to change. Then I waited. I held her bouquet, then waited for the photo. I was getting quite good at it. I could do it right handed and left handed; in front and in back. I was really getting proficient. In the mean time, Michelle and Josh were getting rather good at their job: handsomely standing, lovingly smiling, enchantingly gazing, blushingly kissing, and just looking terrific. Josh was tall and strong. Michelle was smiling and beautiful. Together they were dynamite and the photographer knew it. He took zillions of shots and every one looked like a winner. The rain was brief, but afforded a few shots with the umbrella and was the traditional sign for good luck.
The sun came out and it was the best of both worlds. What a perfect day! How absolutely stunning a couple! But then what would you expect? I mean look at their parents.
There is much that is said of weddings by the world in general: Lots of pomp and ceremony, anticipation and celebration. But nothing can really compare to the simple yet meaningful elegance of a temple marriage. It is not limited to only here and now, but is for time and eternity; solemnized not by civil law only, but by one holding delegated divine authority–-exactly that power needed to seal on earth and in heaven. There is no "til death do you part," no "as long as you both shall live," but with authority that extends beyond this mortal sphere a new family is formed which has unlimited potential. In that sacred setting, all dressed in white, Josh and Michelle knelt across the altar from each other and looked into each other's eyes as they entered into a sacred covenant. Josh was thinking that Michelle deserved the very best. Michelle was thinking that Josh was the man of her dreams. Both were right. Elder Richard G. Scott, Grandpa Scott, as one having that delegated authority, performed the ordinance and in the span of just a few minutes they had changed from being two single people into one united couple, together forever. It was just the way the divine plan was intended. I could see Mary Lee wipe a tear from her eye, but I was blinking madly so I would not need to.
For a moment the room was completely silent, then in whispered tones those present expressed their congratulations and filed out of the room. Josh and Michelle were married! The most important event was over. Reverently they smiled at each other. They had not completely absorbed the full impact of the event, but they were elated.
Everything else was somewhat anticlimactic although definitely more hectic. Quickly they changed–-Michelle into her exquisite wedding dress, Josh into his black tuxedo. It was time for the rest of the photographs: Family, friends, background, bouquets, poses, stairs, stares, glares, all the things that make for a fun photo session, then off to the Wasatch Room of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building for the wedding luncheon.
After a great introduction and welcome by Dave Cook, we were served a sumptuous meal with the great quality associated with the Joseph Smith Building catering staff. The tables sat about 10 people each and were arranged to allow for a view of the head table where Michelle and Josh and we parents were seated.
I was starting to get nervous. One bit of advice: You need to be careful about what you do at one wedding because it may be perceived as a tradition and therefore a requirement at all future weddings. Such was the case at hand. Because I had composed and performed a song just for Camille at her wedding, the pressure was on for me to do the same for Michelle. I had visions of messing up big time: My voice would crack, or I would play the wrong notes. Perhaps I would even sit at the piano and forget how to play altogether. My clammy fingers would stick to the keys and it would be a disaster. I would embarrass Michelle and ruin the whole day. It was easy to feel the weight of the event and I seemed to get more nervous with each thought.
Dave had some wonderful things to say. He had written a clever poem that had the flavor of old time chivalry: At the end of the day when Josh returned home after fighting dragons Michelle could greet him at the door of their castle with a welcome kiss and somehow the cares of the day would disappear and home would be like heaven.
Talk about pressure now. After the image just painted by Dave's poem which captured the "knight in shining armor coming home to the beautiful maiden" motif magnificently, I was sure I was in way over my head. Most of all I did not want to disappoint Michelle. I wanted her to know how wonderful it had been having her around. Her childhood seemed to last for only a moment. Thus was the song entitled, "Just for a Moment." As I walked over to the piano I kept saying to myself. "Breathe." (I also thought that was good advice.) After what seemed like a long time, I hit the last note and it just happened to be right. What luck! At least I ended on the right note. I had to blink rapidly to pump the water from my eyes, but it was done. "Just for a moment you were mine," seemed to linger in the air. My heart was pumping. My hands were clammy and cold. I was in a daze and don't really remember much of the rest of the afternoon. I was just happy and sad all wrapped up together.
4 comments:
Just ate lunch with Dad, Camille, Bryan, Michelle, Josh, Monte, Mike, Camilla and Spencer. We went to Madeline's after the temple dedication. It was so great to be with everyone. Wish you guys could have been here. We love you. Marilyn
What a beautiful entry! We miss you all and can't wait to see you soon!
I think you captured the day perfectly! What a day it was! I have to say that hearing your detailed account got me thinking that it won't be too long (just a few decades) until we'll be in your shoes. If you don't mind, I'm copying this post and then I can just paste it later.
You did miss one detail...you shouldn't have been nervous at the luncheon as I had just dinged my glass of water to get everyone's attention and then proceeded to spill my water across the whole table. I went ahead and broke the ice for you.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
Dad! That was such a great post! Thank you so much for everything. I especially want to thank you for the song you wrote, I love it and it was so special to have you play and sing it at the luncheon. Thank you for capturing our thoughts very well and for documenting this for our family. You have been and are such a wonderful father. We love you very much! And don't worry Dad, I'll be around for more than "just for a moment," I will be around forever! Thanks for marrying mom in the temple so our family really can be together forever...so none of this "just for a moment" business, aight? ;) LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment