Call Family, July & July 2017

Our backyard, Dec. 27, 2020

Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Arizona Desert Museum by Kaitlyn Call

  I got the chance to visit the Arizona Desert Museum. I loved everything we did!!! On the way we learned how to make our pictures have a better look. Below are some pictures we took. Some pictures you will see are plants, cacti, animals, and something under a microscope.

  The picture below is the first picture I took while we were on the road. We also learned about the different buttons on the camera. Usually I press random buttons and hope one of them works but now I can use a camera without breaking it.The plant that you see is an ocotillo plant. Behind the ocotillo you may be able to see some houses and mountains. It was such a great view from on the road!!!!! 

My First Picture
  When we were officially in the museum with our tickets we rushed to the "Live Animal Show" but we couldn't wait to take pictures of these flowers until after the show. So since we had a few minutes until the show began, so we took these photos. The first flower in the upper left is a sunflower. If you look close enough there is a bee in the middle. The pictures on bottom left and upper right I don't know what they are but they are pretty so I took some pictures of them. Lastly, the plant on the bottom right is a cactus with a flower. We came at the perfect time, when there was previously rain. The plants seemed a little bit more alive after the rain.

A collage of flowers
  After we took pictures of the flowers we went to the "Live Animal Show". Since we actually made it to the show a few minutes early we got front row seats. The whole time I thought I am going to be the first one who gets eaten by these animals because we were so close. But the animals didn't even attempt to eat me because they were so well behaved. First the Parrot came out and the museum animal girl described the bird as "a flying three-years old with a hammer and pliers who lives to be eighty". The bird did some flips and tricks for us at the end. Next was the Chuckwalla and he is a relative of the iguana. It was hard to get a picture since the chuckwalla was in someones hands so I didn't take a picture of him. After the Chuckwalla there was a porcupine. I was SO scared because he was facing towards me. If the porcupine released his quills I would get quilled. When the Porcupine was gone I felt a little bit more calm but then a Skunk came out!!! Once again I was scared I was going to get sprayed. But, later on in the show someone asked if the Skunk could spray, I was relived to find out the Skunk could NOT spray me. It was a pretty cool show. I really enjoyed it.

The Parrot by Kate


The Hooded Skunk by Ali

The Porcupine by Ali

Below are some pictures of some of the animals in the Grassland habitat. The first picture is a frog. There was a pile of frogs in another spot. The second picture is a Algae Eating thing with it's mouth open. The third picture is an up close picture of the Harris ground squirrel. Ali and I found a "Kids Only Rock path" so we had to try it. There is a picture of us trying not to bonk our heads on the rocks through an opening .That was such a cool exhibit.

Frogs by Kate

Algae Sucker by Kate

Harris ground squirrel by Kate

Ali and I in a rock by Grandma

This is a picture of the mountain lion, also known as the cougar. The cougar jumped and ran around and put on a show for us. He posed for some pictures and he played in some bushes. Cruz, the mountain lion, jumped from rock to rock. I was so amazed at his skills.

Cruz, the cougar by Grandma

This is a picture of my arm under a microscope. You can't tell that your arm hairs are that prickly or your arm is that scaly. Under the microscope we played around by putting different objects under it. We put our hands under it and saw some dirt in our hands. It's crazy that you can see dirt through a microscope that you can't see without it. We continued to look around to see if there were any objects that we could put under the microscope. It was very amusing looking at every object closer. That was my FAVORITE part!

My arm under a microscope by Grandma



  Here are pictures of different kinds of cactus. The background picture has a Saguaro cactus in it. The picture on the left is a Saguaro cactus with fruit. The middle picture is a prickly pear cactus with fruit blooming. The last picture is actually not a cactus. It is a plant that looks like a cactus called agave. There were so many beautiful flowers, cactuses, and a lot of beautiful landscaping.

Cactus Collage
I had so much fun at this museum. All the exhibits were fun but they were all different. I want to come back here another time. I had so much fun and I learned so much.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Wow! This looks like it was really a lot of fun and that you LEARNED a lot as well. I'm impressed that you learned the names of such deserts plants as "ocotillo" and "saguaro." I'm impressed that you learned how to take such great pictures! Now I know that I can assign you and Ali to take pictures for all of our events. Keep practicing this week!

My favorite line from this post: "I am going to be the first one who gets eaten by these animals because we were so close."

Love it! Keep blogging this week! Love you.

Camille said...

"I could get quilled" ha! Loved the parrot pic. Wish we could have seen you guys too!

Josh and Michelle said...

Kaitlyn, your post made me laugh! Looks like the desert museum was very fun.