Call Family, July & July 2017

Our backyard, Dec. 27, 2020

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dancing demo in Beijing

MAINLAND CHINA 


Scenes from our hotel in Xi'An, the Grand Noble, were typical of the big cities we visited in China:



The Grand Noble had the best breakfast buffet!

Sadly, I don't think any of us tried the wheat glute while we had the chance.

You can tell that in China people find eating something to lose their head about.  as you can see, Craig takes eating quite seriously.  Forkhead and I, on the other hand are a little more relaxed.

Bell Tower, Xi'An
We landed in Beijing around midday, and through Craig's great language skills and investigations discovered a shuttle that took us to the international hotel area, near the center of the city.   Craig got directions to our hotel which he had been told was within walking distance--a very long walk! 


We walked for over an hour in the blazing sun (the only clear day during our stay in Beijing), hauling and carrying our luggage, Bruce doing the lion's share of the work without complaint. (I got so accustomed to carrying luggage that I was considering becoming a Sherpa in the Himalayas.  The only problem was that I was not in the Himalayas, although they were closer than our hotel.)

Finally, we arrived at the Crown Plaza on Wanfujing in the center of town, less than a mile from Tianenmen Square and the Forbidden City.  It proved to be a great location, close to several malls, many restaurants, and the subway.  The hotel was very nice, with the interior open to the lobby nine stories high and two glass elevators (out of four), an indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi on the ninth floor--our floor.  We checked it out one night but were too tired to take advantage of it. 


Craig and I carefully planned out what we were going to do and how we would get there.  Craig was so confident in my navigation skills that he gave me a little card that had instructions on it in Chinese telling a possible cab driver where our hotel was.

It was not usual to have young girls stop us on the street or in the mall so they could have their picture taken with me. . . I mean Craig.  (Although it did happen to me once!)

Bruce tries out a wrinkle-smoothing patch.  He didn't buy it.
The Apple store was really something.  All glass or clear plastic. The Apple store was contrary to Craig's loyalties so he often walked out of the way to avoid even going into the store.  I do not think Craig will be getting an I phone in the forseeable future.

We inadvertently captured the Chinese solution to diapers in the landfill.
Nighttime on Wangfujing Street was amazing.  People were just getting started when we were about dead tired.  The street really did come to life--lights everywhere and lots of stores thriving.  The central shopping district was within a few minutes of our hotel.  The streets were of granite rather than asphalt and the prices would make San Francisco seem economical.  Off the main drag, however, it was a completely different story.



In the evening there were street dancers who attracted quite a crowd.  Craig caught on quickly and was soon the center of attention.  I went back to the hotel and what did I find, Craig's tap shoes!  When I returned with them Craig put on a show that was a real crowd pleaser.




You can see that I had a few steps myself.  You can also see why Craig said that it was painful to watch me dance!


Craig's fans couldn't resist capturing him in action.


Mary Lee almost got a Charlie horse in her finger from all of the Camera work.  She was amazing.

1 comment:

Josh and Michelle said...

I am impressed that Craig put on a little show on the streets of China! And I'm surprised he had his clogging shoes on hand! Talk about lucky! :)