Call Family, July & July 2017

Our backyard, Dec. 27, 2020

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Leather-clad Trio Frequents Local Cafe


Craig had a great approach to planning his date for me: Use the cash to pay for dinner, then guide the conversation over dinner to pick up as many remaining points as possible!

Since my favorite restaurant, Sandolo, where Dad proposed to me, is a two-and-a-half hour drive away (in Scottsdale) and also beyond our budget (likely another reason we have never been back), Craig asked me for another idea. I suggested Eclectic Cafe, which is close by and has become a favorite as of late. Craig picked up a few points when I ordered some of my favorite foods: salmon (though not as tasty as Dad's barbecued version, my real favorite) with pineapple salsa (my favorite fruit).

Craig set the standard for packing the most points into the conversation:
He asked why "When I Fall in Love" is my favorite song. I explained that it was because Dad sang it to me while we were dating, and then he sang it at a ward Valentine's party a year after we were married. We discussed my favorite sport to play, skiing, and how I used to arrange my schedule at BYU so that I could take classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and ski on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I said I was glad I had decided to go on a mission instead of going pro on the ski patrol at Sundance like my friend did. (Okay, so maybe I shouldn't admit all that in print.)

I told Craig about how Grandpa and I got to see an ice dancing event (favorite sport to watch) at the 2002 Winter Games. Craig asked what I liked about Cry the Beloved Country (favorite book) and I explained that I was touched by the hardships and faith of the black pastor who is the main character. Craig also discovered that I like Superman because as a child I used wish that I had been adopted so that there would be a possibility that I was really from another planet and would some day develop super powers.

Every time I answered a question, Craig took great satisfaction in checking the item off his list, racking up yet more points. Finally, towards the end, I was beginning to wonder if he was even listening. "Why is Cranium your favorite game?" "I like it because there are lots of different activities, like word puzzles, and--" But before I could finish, he exclaimed, "Check! Next question...."


Dad and Craig discuss plans for our next date....

2 comments:

Megan said...

Funny Craig!!! I enjoyed hearing about Mary Lee's favorites! I love how you arranged your schedule to accommodate the all-important skiing! That's awesome!

Nathan said...

Check! Next question. I now plan on asking Craig a series of questions only to interrupt part way through to exclaim this phrase.